Sunday, April 10, 2011

KAUAI Days 1&2


Once we knew we would be moving and starting a new job in May, Jeff and I thought it would be fun to take a trip while we had the chance. As it worked out, Jeff's uncle learned we were planning a trip during April. He told us they had an open timeshare in Kauai, Hawaii and asked if we'd be interested. What?! Not much of a decision there. So we flew to Kauai, on Saturday April 9th and had a fantastic nine-day vacation! In almost 9 years of marriage we've done little things here & there together, but we've really never had a dream vacation for just the two of us- even our honeymoon was a cross country drive to get to medical school. So we were pretty excited!
Saturday we left at 6am, and after many hours of flying, arrived in Kauai about 1:30pm. It was so amazing to be there. Even the smell in the air is wonderful. I was so happy to finally be warm! I feel like I've been cold for the past 6 months, so I loved being able to just soak in the sun.
After we arrived, we picked up our rental car. We just rented a basic economy car, but the lady at the desk tried to get us to upgrade to a jeep for just $15 more a day. I didn't want to spend extra, so we said no. Then she said she'd do it for $11, which we also declined. Then when we went out to the lot to get the car, the guy told us they had too many jeeps on the lot and gave us one for the same price, it was great!
We spent the rest of the day getting groceries, getting checked in to our condo, etc. It was just amazing to drive around and see the beautiful island.
We had a beautiful condo in Princeville, at the northern side of the island. We really liked the area and you couldn't beat the beautiful view from off the back porch. It was my favorite place to eat meals, just watching the waves come in. I think 'Paradise' pretty much sums up this view!
Sunday morning we enjoyed church at the little branch in Hanalei. It was a great meeting, and fun to get to know some of the local families. I loved the chapel, especially the pretty blue roof.
Looking out over the Hanalei Valley

We also learned that there would be a fireside that evening at the stake center. When we learned that Russell M. Nelson was the speaker, we were pretty excited. It was an amazing fireside. I probably should have, but I did manage to get one picture (no sounds/no flash/no one even knew). You can see Elder Nelson at the pulpit. It was such an uplifting, wonderful night and a perfect way to start off the vacation.


No comments: