Tuesday, November 18, 2008

26.2 Miles....POST RACE FUN

I think the most fun from the trip came after the marathon. We were really able to enjoy some fun time with Mike & Kimber, and Scott & Amanda. It took a little while to actually get out of Richmond. A few of us wanted to shower before the car ride home, and then the traffic was pretty bad trying to get out of the city. Eventually we made it back to Charlottesville where Kimberly had prepared a yummy dinner for everyone. We all enjoyed eating and visiting, and our boys especially enjoyed running around free. I think Matthew especially was tired of being stuck in his carseat & stroller. He was so happy running around the apartment.
After the kids were in bed, the adults stayed up for a while longer visiting and of course playing a few games. Amanda and I had some good laughs at our blister-covered toes, and gimpy ‘cowboy’ walking. We're both definitely going to loose some toenails... probably 3-4 for me. It's great being partners as "mothers, sisters, outlaws, and marathoners." We finally went to bed late Saturday night only to get up and get ready for 8:30am church the next morning. It was fun to be together and our only complaint was that we didn’t have enough time together. I was pleased that I wasn’t too sore- I even managed some cute 3-inch heels without much trouble. I was sore, but not as bad as I thought I would be. (In fact, my biggest complaint was the horrible cold I developed Sunday morning. By the time we got home Sunday night I had lost my voice completely- my boys laugh at me because I literally ‘squeak.’ I still don’t have it back today.) After church we enjoyed another yummy lunch, and then sadly it was time to finish packing and head for home.
Kimber and Mike took Scott and Amanda to the airport and we drove for home in the other direction. The boys were sad to be leaving. Caleb asked on the way home, “Where’s Aunt Bobo? I love Aunt Bobo. I miss Aunt Bobo.” Even though it was a quick trip, I’m so grateful we were able to enjoy the trip with family. We’ll definitely have some wonderful memories from this one!

Couple Random Thoughts
- Don’t get emotional during races, you just end up with red eyes in pictures.
- Having great marathon-training running partners to run with is priceless. I’ve missed you over the past few weeks Melissa & Jamie - it’s just not the same running alone!

4 comments:

Lanelle Barber said...

Ew, look at those toes! I can't believe you ran a marathon, what an accomplishment! Congrats!

Perfectly Imperfect said...

That is both happy and sad. It really is fun to live in the east with only a few people out there - you really do get to be better family and friends because you rely on each other more. I'm glad we were in the east together - now come to Zion!

Joey and Michelle Chandler Family said...

Well I just read your whole trip and marathon experience. Wow. That's good you are already laughing about your trip. That sounded like a night from He** to put it nicely. I can't believe all that crazy stuff happened in one night! And to top it off you got 2 hours of sleep before running a marothon! I commend you for still running in it. Congratulations on finishing the race. I know I've neve run 6 miles let alone over 26! You're an amazing woman and are blessed to have such a supportive husband and boys! You'll definitely have stories to tell for a long time after that one!

carlston said...

Congratulations Angela... I'm so happy for you. I am sorry that you were a little disappointed in your time and the trouble you faced along the way, but you finished! What a feat within itself! I loved what you said about it almost being spiritual... I felt the same way. It truly is an amazing experience. I cried when I crossed the finished - it's an undescribable feeling.

Way to go!!!