Monday, November 17, 2008

26.2 Miles.....THE MARATHON

(More pictures to follow from Scott & Kimberly. Thanks guys for being great photographers!)


Even with little sleep, I was excited for the race. It was so fun to be with Scott & Amanda, and great to see Kimberly that morning who had made the drive from Charlottesville to be with us at 6:30 in the morning. There was a great feel in the air and it was fun to be around all the other runners.

I was so excited to be running with Amanda- I’ve never been able to run with a family member and it’s been almost a year since we’ve seen each other so we were excited. We both had about the same estimated time so we started together in the same corral. When the gun went off, we were off! It was fun to visit and observe everything along the course. I would have loved to have run the entire race with Amanda but my race took a little turn.

The weather forecast had called for lots of rain, thunder, wind etc. It was supposed to be in the 50’s when the race started and I thought it would probably be pretty cool through the whole race. So I opted for running capris & a long-sleeved shirt over a tank top. By the time we got to the starting line where Scott was getting ready to start his half marathon I knew it was going to be warmer that I expected and ditched the long-sleeved shirt, but it was too late to change into shorts. I was counting on a cooler race, and did not expect a mid-November race to be sunny, hot & humid with a temperature of 70 degrees!

The first few miles I was feeling great, the miles just flew by, Amanda and I were easily keeping pace with the 3:40 group. A lot of runners talk about hitting “The Wall” at some point during the marathon. Most say it hits somewhere between mile 16-20. Well, mine literally ‘hit’ with a bang at mile 5. I felt hot, sick, and tired; and all of a sudden my bladder went into hyperactive mode. I’ve never had to make a stop during a long run; during the marathon I had to make four. From mile 5, I knew my goal race was over. From mile 6 on I was already taking breaks to walk. I felt dehydrated no matter how much I drank. At every 2-mile stop I was pouring water over myself to cool down. That worked okay until mile 19 when my shoes were completely soaked with water. I had to take off my shoes to try and wring out the water from my socks & inserts and ended up with some pretty impressive blisters from the water. On my 18-mile run a few weeks before, I ran a 2:29. At mile 18 in the marathon I was at 3 hours. I was expecting to finish the race well under a 3:59. I finished the marathon in 4:29.

I think the time is respectable for anyone, and I’m happy that I finished a marathon! I think the most frustrating thing was that I had worked so long and hard to accomplish a goal, and it turned out so differently than I expected. For months I’ve gotten up at 5:30am, four days a week- including Saturdays, to go running. I’ve pushed myself and worked hard to improve my times and was felt so encouraged for the marathon- like the goal was really within my grasp. But then when the moment arrives, like a bad dream-I just watched everything slip away and didn’t even come close.

At the same time, even though I feel some disappointment, I’m so grateful for the experience. It was an amazing and humbling experience. I was so appreciative of all the support and encouragement along the way. The Richmond marathon was an awesome race. The course was beautiful and the set-up, organization, and especially crowd support was amazing. There were spectators cheering you along the entire way and I can’t say enough what a strength and help all the spectators were. They were awesome! There were bands and music along the course, there were people with hoses & sprinklers set up for the runners to run through, there were people cheering your name & encouraging you along. I can see why it’s been named, “The Friendliest Marathon” I’ve never experienced anything like it. In fact there were a couple points throughout the race where I was a little emotional. It wasn’t from the misery I was feeling, but from the incredible gratitude I felt towards everyone around me. There were people cheering your name & encouraging you on- people who didn’t even know you. There were runners that would encourage you to keep going and give words of inspiration even though they were going through the same pain you were. As silly as it may sound, for me the marathon was even somewhat of a spiritual experience.

As I rounded the last corner, Kimberly was there on the side with a big poster cheering me on. It was so incredible to finally see that 26-mile marker and the nothing had looked more beautiful than the finish line at the end of the road. The cheering from the spectators was deafening during that last stretch and I can’t even explain the emotions I was feeling at this point. After I crossed the finish line and got a medal, I looked around for all the family. I was so grateful to see them and grateful to have finally completed the goal of a marathon. Even though it wasn’t quite the experience I had anticipated, it was awesome and I would do it all over again. I’d like to do another marathon someday, and hopefully I’ll be able to beat my previous time for a new personal record. Right now I’m going to thoroughly enjoy a little break, and trade in my mileage loaded shoes for some new ones!

13 comments:

teresa said...

What an amazing experience, and I think that your time is incredible! I would have finished in the same amount of time, only it would have been measured in days, not hours lol! Congratulations for completing a marathon!

Anonymous said...

Angela, I am getting teary eyed reading your experience. You are so strong and should be so proud of yourself. Way to Go!

Lynnette said...

You are amazing - way to go! And after reading your pre-race experience, that makes you even more amazing!

Perfectly Imperfect said...

You think it's silly to feel emotional about your race - I feel emotional about reading about your race - so there! You are great. I've learned a life lesson from the story you have related here. Just one of the reasons I love you!

Sorenson family trio said...

Sounds like quite an experience. congratulations on finishing the race. You did a great job. I could never run that far.
I had to laugh. The pre-marathon drive sounded like a classic Stevens adventure.

Gina

Debbie said...

I'm sorry it didn't turned out how you planned, but I'm glad it was a good experience. I agree with you on people cheering on the sidelines. When I ran the Logan marathon, the people cheering me on kept me going and I was so grateful for them. It also made me feel like I had accomplished something huge, which for me it was.

Amanda Stevens said...

Ang,
It wouldn't have been the same without you. I am so proud of who you are, in so many ways...It is just a bummer it was so short of a weekend. I am glad you are proud of your accomplishment...the success is not necessarily the day of the race but the tremendous amount of work prior. I am grateful our lives our woven together not just as sisters, moms, and outlaws but as marathoners!!! How many people can say they enjoyed loosing toenails together...we are definitely tied as friends. When is our next one? Thanks for the happy memories...and for letting me enjoy your cute boys. love you tons!

Kristie lee said...

I'm so proud of you Ang!! I can't believe you finished with everything that happened. I'm sorry about the crazy night before & the lack of sleep. And I'm sorry that some of my suggestions ended up being bad (wearing the capri's). Sounds like you would have been better off in shorts. But I am so happy that you got to have the experience. It really is an incredible feeling. I also seem to get emotional. So I understand that feeling. It's kind of surprising how a race can be such a spiritual experience. Well I love you! We need to do one together some day!

jor said...

Go Angela! I'm sorry it didn't all go as planned but you did an amazing job anyway and are one tough runner to keep up 21 more miles after hitting the wall! That is something to be so proud of...anyone can finish a race they feel good through, but to finish one that sucks is a whole different accomplishment.

Kendra said...

You did awesome! And holy cow on your story of getting there! That always seems to happen when you need to be up the next morning. Nathan and I got lost finding the race site in St. George when we did the triathlon's there, and I also remember hitting the wall while running through sand, and I kept thinking (I didn't train to run through sand, oh nuts!) Anyway, congrats again on finishing!

The Tanners said...

Angela,
I am so proud of you! Way to reach your goal of finishing the marathon! Your time was respectable too. Someday maybe I'll do one with you and Kristie. You'll have to teach me everything you know. I love you!

Annette said...

Wow Angela, good job! I know it wasn't what you were hoping for, but still-you made it! All 26.2 miles! I'm so sad I missed it!

Ben and Melissa said...

I love the "spiritual" experience. That is exactly how I felt about mine. I am so happy that we were able to train together...and basically ran the race with the same finish time. GREAT JOB! I am proud of both of us!