
A while back a friend had forwarded some information about a kid’s race being held in the city. It looked like fun, but the twenty dollar entry fee seemed a little expensive for a 20 second race. So
Jordan decided to organize a race for all the little kids in our ward/area. The kids were all pretty excited. They even had official race numbers. We all met over at the local high school track on Monday night. Unfortunately the track was being used by kids in training, there was actually even one lady who was apparently training for the Olympic trials. She was amazing! At one point she was attached to a bike that her coach was riding, by a
10 foot rope, forcing her to run extra fast around the track-talk about crazy! We’ll have to keep our eyes open for her.
Anyway, we figured it would be fine to run across the field since the track was in use. We set up cones at both ends and let the kids run their 100 yard dash. The race was about 60 yards too long for some of them. Most ran the whole way, but a few took some breaks and enjoyed watching the other kids. It was pretty funny. It's always entertaining to watch the parents watching their kids too! At the end of the race, all the kids got a medal. I made about 30 of these little 'medals' with a treat in the middle.


Of course after the kids, we had to have the dads do their 100 yard “Daddy Dash” as well. It was fun to watch them, although I felt bad for Derek who had a pretty serious wipe-out about half-way through the race. I think they all did a great job!
And last of all, the moms had their race. I think it’s been a while since anyone has done a full-out sprint (other than chasing our children) but we had a good time as well.
It was such a fun evening. We really lucked out because the weather forecast said it was supposed to rain all day with severe thunderstorms in the afternoon, but it ended up being an absolutely beautiful and perfect day. After the races were all over, the kids had a blast playing in the sand pit while the adults visited for a while. Most of the kids went home in need of a serious bath, but at least they were well entertained for a while! I was grateful to have time to visit with friends. Our dear friends and neighbors, the Marsh’s, are leaving tomorrow and we are really going to miss them.
At least they’re headed to Twin Falls so hopefully we’ll meet up again with them sometime soon in the future. Once again we were reminded how blessed we are to have such wonderful friends out here. We couldn’t ask for a better “family” away from family.
3 comments:
What a great idea. I bet your children will remeber the races for a long time. I impressed at the effert you put into the #'s and metals. great idea!
Gina
What a super duper awesome idea! I would love to do that with Emma. She's always talking about running! I think I'm going to look into that :) I think it's great to start teaching your children when they're young to take care of their bodies. What better way than by example! You're doing a great job with that!
That looks like a ton of fun!!
Post a Comment