Friday, June 20, 2008

Just Another Day of Work for a Scoundrel

We’ve definitely had our share of occurrences here in the big city. We purposefully have older & imperfect cars so we won’t care so much when things happen to them. We’ve been hit a couple times, hit & run a couple times, but this is the first time we’ve had our car broken into and radio stolen, along with a few other things. It happened last Wednesday, while Jeff was parked in the parking garage at his work. The crazy thing is that Jeff would have caught the punk if he had been there a minute earlier or if he hadn’t been reading the paper while walking to the car, they walked right past each other! They have the whole incident on camera, but really…what are they going to do? Most likely file a police report and just add it to the continually rising statistics of crime. It really isn’t that big of a deal, there are worse things than having property stolen, those things can be replaced. I'm glad Jeff didn't meet up with him, even though he was just a little teenage kid. The nice thing is that we found a great deal on glass ($90 to replace the window instead of the first quotes of $140-$180) and these guys came to our house to do it early Friday morning, and even offer to vacuum up all the glass when they’re done. Although Jacob enjoyed having a permanently opened window, I wasn’t loving the “keyless entry” feature. It’s nice to have it fixed. Now we just have to get a new radio, the wires don’t look that great.

The Crime Scene

(It looked much more "criminal-like" with the shattered glass, but I was tired of it pouring all over into our freshly cleaned car & removed it.)

The Loot

(We still don’t know why he chose our car, the radio really wasn’t that great. The Big Bummer was that in addition to the radio he also stole about 8 DVD’s and mainly children’s DVD’s at that, including Cars, Ratatouille & a bunch of others. That’s what really made me upset, stealing movies from kids? To top it off, he stole our ‘Rita’s Water Ice’ punch card, which just happened to filled up and ready to redeem for a free treat. Grrrrr!

6 comments:

Ash and Becky said...

It was probably a blessing that he was there a minute later and reading the paper! Who knows? With that kind of person they could have had a gun and something worse could have happened other than just a broken window and things being stolen that could be replaced! It still is such a frustrating thing to have happen though. Sorry!

Lanelle Barber said...

Agh, how frustrating! Some people have no shame. But I agree with the above commenter *hi* about not running into the thief, it could have turned out even worse. I'm glad your husband is safe.

And we have older decrepit cars too....but it's not because we are afraid of brake ins. We just have old decrepit cars.

harrisfamily said...

I agree with you. I can't believe they stole your kids movies. That seems worse than the other to me. I have had my car broken into before but not in Philly! Although we can relate to the hit and runs on more than one occasion in Philly!
Sorry that this happened, but at least Jeff did miss it...I mean I agree with Becky he could have had a gun or knife.
Glad you guys are okay and things are fixed!

Annette said...

Angela that is so frustrating. I had no idea that you had that happen. You can have our Rita's Ice punch card if you want, you have a two-punch head start on a fresh card.

Aileen Taylor said...

JERKS!!!!!!!

I'm sorry you had to go through all that... :(

Joey and Michelle Chandler Family said...

That would just tick me off so bad! Movies, radio, treats! Those are essential things for kids! Not to mention a broken window! I'm sorry that happened to you guys!