Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Weekend at the Haworths

Because Jeff had time off, we decided to go down to Franklin for Conference this year. It’s been a while since we’ve seen my grandparents, and they haven’t seen Jacob and Caleb for over a year. I’m not sure when we’ll be able to see them again once we move back to Philadelphia, so we wanted to take advantage of the time we have.

My mom’s parents, my Grandma and Grandpa Haworth live in a little town called Franklin, Idaho. Just about 15 minutes from Logan Utah. It’s right next to Preston, and for all you Napoleon Dynamite fans, this is the famous little town where the movie took place. In fact, they now have streets named after the movie, and an official “Napoleon Dynamite Day.” Kind of funny, a lot of the older folks weren’t too excited about that. Anyway, it’s a beautiful place that is still mainly farmland. In fact, my grandparents have the oldest family owned farm in Idaho, and my Grandpa at 76 is still running his farm. They’re pretty amazing people.

We took off a little later than expected, but we made it down there on Saturday afternoon. Jeff and Grandpa went to the Priesthood session that night together, and the boys and I stayed and visited with Grandma and a couple of my aunts that were there. It’s funny how memories I have as a child come flooding back whenever I visit my grandparent’s house. Not much has changed over the years, and I like it that way. Grandma still has all the same toys, bedspreads & décor. Some of it is different, but the overall feel is the same. I love that my children can experience the same things as I did when I was a child. I have so many memories of coming to grandma & grandpa’s. Playing hide-and-go-seek in their long hallway downstairs, having Easter egg hunts & playing outside on the farm and down by the river, great food & every movie you could imagine. Even as a child, I loved going to sleep and waking up in the morning with the vent blowing cool air on my face. Most of all, the happy times I remember spending with cousins, and family. With 7 daughters, we always had lots of family around!

It is different as you get older. People have moved away and don’t come around as often, and grandparents get older. Some things are hard to see, but life goes on and you just have to enjoy life as it is.

We had a wonderful trip. The boys enjoyed being at Grandma & Grandpa’s. They absolutely loved the farm. They liked to see the cows, especially when they were driving around watching them on the 4-wheeler. They loved jumping on the tramp and just being with grandparents. It was fun to watch conference with Grandma and Grandpa. I remember when I was young my parents had us watch every session and I didn’t necessarily love it, but it was sure enjoyable this time.

The trip was great and the one complaint I had was that the time just went by much too quickly. We had to leave Sunday night so we could be back home by Monday. I wish we could have stayed a week; there was still so much I wanted to do. But all good times have to come to an end sometime. I’m glad we took the trip and could spend time with Grandma & Grandpa. I’m grateful for the memories.

1 comment:

Caity said...

That looks like so much! How great it is to have so much family!