Friday, October 19, 2012

Happy Birthday, Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year my D600 is here!

October 2012
During the month of October, I had a fun surprise. My birthday had been spent driving across the country to get to a wedding- I was fine with that. I hadn't' been feeling the greatest, so I told Jeff that I really didn't want to celebrate my birthday- I was perfectly fine skipping it that year. Well, a couple months later, I still didn't mind, but I think Jeff was still feeling a little bad that we hadn't done anything- not a cake or present. 
We had been talking about getting a new camera at some point. We had bought our first DSLR, the Nikon D50 in 2005, a few months after Caleb was born. It had been a wonderful camera and gotten lots of great use. Over the years I have become more interested in photography, but at just 6 megapixels, my options for larger photo prints were pretty limited with the D50. The quality just isn't as good on a 7 year old camera. We had thrown around the idea of a new camera for a while. With the new models coming out- and some exciting ones at that- Jeff decided it was time. I knew I wanted another Nikon, and with Jeff's great research- he ordered the Nikon D600. We had been looking at a couple models- one was cheaper and I thought for sure that was the one Jeff was going to order. I was fine with that, and thought it would be a great camera. I was pretty surprised when I opened the package and found the D600! It was  a little more expensive than some of the other models we had been looking at- but when we considered how long we keep cameras, and what I was hoping to do with photography- I guess Jeff thought it was the perfect option. 
Jeff called it my belated birthday present. I called it birthday and Christmas for a couple years! But it truly felt like the most exciting holiday when I got that package in the mail! (We got a couple of lenses as well). I am finally starting to learn the manual settings and I'm really looking forward to learning more about the camera and having fun experimenting. Now if my kids will just be willing subjects! I'm especially excited to have the D600 now that we'll be expecting a new baby in the spring!

Of course I was excited to test it out as soon as it came- so Matthew and Emily got to be my on the spot subjects. I have a lot to learn, but it was fun to just try it out! It really was the best present I could have ever dreamed for!






No comments: