Thursday, June 3, 2010

Goodbyes

It's hard to believe that after nearly 8 years in Philadelphia, our time here has come to a close. We moved to Philly in August of 2002 as newly weds. Jeff attended medical school here and after one year in Idaho for his intern year, he completed the rest of his 4 years of residency here. I worked and attended school at LaSalle University and we've had all four children here in Philadelphia. It all still seems a bit surreal. I think reality finally struck in the early morning hours as we were driving through Iowa. I was taking a turn driving while everyone was asleep. I realized we were driving West for the final time and the tears just started to fall. We've had many ups and downs here in Philly, we've had fun times and stressful times, some of the greatest joys- births of children, and some hard times too. We've made dear lifelong friends and have memories to last a lifetime. This chapter in our lives has come to an end and I know it's time to move on, we're definitely excited to be closer to our families again, but we're going to miss this crazy, incredible, unique, wonderful city terribly. Goodbye Philadelphia, we'll miss you more than we can say.
(Just a few pictures of things we'll remember, I wish I had lots more!)


Shawmont Elementary
The Library
Rita's Water Ice

Roxborough YMCA

Tasty Twisters Pretzel factory- this place was the best

Street where we park for church


Infamous row homes
Our last apartment in Philadelphia, Summit Gardens. Such a great, and beautiful place.
The 4 windows of our apartment
Shoprite, really our store. We've spent a lot of time at this place. :)
SEPTA busses, okay I might not miss these guys too much. :)
Henry Avenue. I will really miss the trees and green everywhere!
View of the city on the way home from church.
Part of Jeff's hospital. This was a familiar site- usually where I would drop off/pick up Jeff from school & work. It became a familiar 5am stop. :)
Exit from the 76 to the Vine Street Expressway. I don't know how many times I've been through here. When we first moved to Philly I was terrified by the driving- years later I guess I'm a local and fit right in.
Houston Park- many fun hours were spent here with friends.
Backside of our chapel. This was built during our last 4 years here. The first church was an old Jewish mortuary. Lots of memories here.
The front of the chapel, placed conveniently next ob Burger King. It wasn't uncommon to see people walking into sacrament meeting with their BK lunches. :)
Our beautiful city and home.
Other things we'll remember:

The Philly accents

soft pretzels

Valley Green running trails
Miles Park

feeding the ducks

Bala Cynwood Park

crazy hot humidity

cold & snowy winters

La Salle University

Drexel

Ridge Avenue

Plymouth Meeting

Main Street Manayunk

famous Green Lane bike race

Kelly Drive

Smith Playhouse

2 hrs from NYC

2 hrs from DC

Valley Forge

Indepence Hall, Liberty Bell & the rest of the downtown sight-seeing

Hahnnemahn Hospital

Lankenau Hospital

6am runs with friends

Girl's Night Outs

Playgroups

Date night babysitting groups

Young Women/Young Men activities
I'm sure this list could go on and on

1 comment:

Perfectly Imperfect said...

Man the memories are just FLOODING back! Some things never change. Rita's can't be duplicated, I am sorry to say. I miss that place too. I do have to say, I can't WAIT to have you here! Congrats on the move! By the way - the new church looks GREAT!!!