I know that often there isn't a lot of action going on- the boys Matthew's age are usually standing around throwing dirt or picking flowers or watching airplanes go by (and with their fields being less than a mile from the airport- we always had planes flying overhead). But even with that- I love watching these cute little boys running around trying to play ball. I get such a kick out of seeing them hit the baseball, then just standing there watching it while the coaches and parents are yelling out to them to "run!" I love the bottleneck as two or three of them are sitting at the same base or the opposite- trying to pass each other while running the bases to see who is faster. I love the pile-ups as they all try to get the slow rolling grounder. And I love their excited high-fives and cheers as they enthusiastically jump on home plate.
I'm so grateful for the coaches who are so patient and help these boys to have so much fun and come away feeling like superstars. It's so nice at this age how the boys could care less which team won- they're more concerned with who brought the after game snacks and what kind of drink they'll get. The trophy they get at the end of the year couldn't be more exciting or more valuable if it was made of pure gold. It sits on the bookshelf for the next several months as one of their most special possessions. I just love the little league games and watching these cute little boys!
The coaches have learned that one of the best ways to help the game move along smoothly is to have a parent stand out with the boys to help keep them on track. Jeff would stand out with Matthew when he could, but often time we were tag teaming- one of us going to Matthew's game and the other going to Caleb's each with other kids in tow. Jacob generally played on Mondays, Wednesdays, and sometimes Fridays. Caleb and Matthew usually had their games Tuesdays & Thursdays. We loved it when it worked out that the games were at separate times, but there were a number of times our games overlapped and they always played at different parks. This particular night, Caleb had a game at another park. I still had a 2 month old baby, so I was extremely grateful for a thoughtful older brother who stood in the place of Dad to help Matthew. Jacob is such a sweet, thoughtful older brother. I'm so grateful that I can always count on him to help out. I really got a kick out of watching him try and direct Matthew to what he needed to be doing. I thought these pictures summed up the experience perfectly! Jacob tries to hard to be patient and directive. Sometimes those little 5-year old boys just can't keep their attention on the game!
Such sweet brothers.
I really enjoyed watching Caleb and Jacob this year as well. They've really come a long way from their little league days. They still have their moments where they're more interested in whatever is going on over the fence rather than the game, but their skills have really improved over the years and I especially love watching their enjoyment of the game increase. We've been fortunate to have wonderful coaches again and have made some good fiends with other families on the teams.I was also grateful for the all the help of these older boys- any time it wasn't their game, they were always so willing to take the younger kids to play at the park. I could always have Jacob or Caleb take Matthew or Emily to play at the park for a while. It was so helpful and a fun time for them to spend together. I'm grateful for the responsibility and thoughtfulness of these older boys.
Jacob had his very first year of a tournament team and self-pitch. It's crazy watching some of those boys pitching- there are some that throw a whole lot harder than I do! It was a fun (and sometimes stressful!) experience. Every boy on the team got a chance to pitch in a few games. I was so impressed with Jacob. He did so well. He wasn't the fastest pitcher on the team, but he sure tried his hardest to be accurate, and did a great job. I'll admit though- as a mother- it's not my favorite position to watch my child play because it is stressful! There's a lot of pressure on the boys! Sometimes it makes me wonder how my mom used to stand watching me pitch every single game during my softball years! I loved playing pitcher and remember thinking I wasn't half bad, and I sure don't remember feeling as nervous pitching!
Jacob's love of baseball has really grown. I purchased a couple bats a few years ago, and there was one in particular that Jacob considered his special bat. He always made sure to have *his* bat at the games. He's one of the fastest around the bases, and his batting skills have increased tremendously! I lost track of the doubles and triples he hit. During their last tournament game, they were down by 2 in the last inning. Jacob got up to bat and despite all the pressure- hit a triple to win the game. He was the hero that night!
Their team did very well all season. They made it a couple rounds into the final tournament, but ended up finally loosing 5-4 to the team that would eventually go on to win the entire tournament. It was a bit of a bummer for Jacob and all the boys, but they still had such a great season and a great time together. It was a fun season.
And the award for the greatest, most supportive, and most patient baseball fans definitely goes to our two sweet little girlies. Emily loved running around, playing at the park and playing with friends, but she also loved watching her brothers play ball and was one of their very best cheerleaders. She never complained about the many hours spent at the park, and was usually the first one in the car when it was time to go.
And Courtney-our sweet little baby- who has pretty much been toted along to the many activities of her brothers and sister since the day she was born- made all the games and practices just that much sweeter with her company. She's always been such a happy, easy going baby and we are so grateful for her. There were many times when it was cold or rainy enough that I sat in the car nursing or changing diapers, she often got her naps while in her car seat. But that sweet little baby was just happy and so content just to be with everyone. She loved being outdoors, enjoying the beautiful weather and being entertained by the many kids who worked so hard for one of her precious smiles.
Sports and activities are not just for the individual- they really are family commitments. It's not always easy- but I'm grateful for the time we've been able to work together as a family to enjoy these activities. I'm grateful for the time we can spend enjoying time together and supporting each other. Mostly, Jeff and I are so grateful for these wonderful, sweet kids and the joy they've brought to our lives. They fill our lives and they definitely fill our hearts.





























1 comment:
I love this post! All the pictures are so cute, and I can see all their personalities in them. I just love the pictures of Jacob directing Matthew :) I wish I could have come to some of their games. It looks like such a fun family activity!
Post a Comment