Sunday, September 4, 2011

Pocatello Marathon



A few months back, Kristie, Amanda and I decided to run the Pocatello Marathon. It would be my 2nd marathon. I knew I wanted to run another marathon after my disastrous first marathon experience in Richmond, Virigina in '08 where everything that could have possibly went wrong, did. My training for this marathon wasn't exactly what I would have preferred. In the past I've had wonderful running partners that have pushed me to run faster and farther. Since moving from Philly, I haven't had any training partners which means all my running has been alone. I miss you girls!
With all our moving and getting situated, I really didn't get into a good training program until June, and wasn't real consistent until July. Some weeks I only ran twice, sometimes it was three times. Finally the last few weeks I was consistent with 4 days of training. I know I need to do better at training next time. It also isn't helpful when the weather is so hot though. We had some really hot & muggy days this summer- days where it would be 115 and cool down to 85 at night. Some nights I'd wait until 10pm to run outside and it would still be over 90 degrees and so humid it felt like you were in the shower. I would usually start Saturday runs at 6/6:30am to avoid the heat, but when it was real hot & humid it didn't make much of a difference. I could definitely do without the humidity! Anyway, I did the best I could with our circumstances, and felt that I would do alright in Pocatello.
I flew out to Salt Lake City on Thursday night. I didn't get in until about midnight and it was so nice of Tom to pick me up that late. I spent the night at Tom & Kristie's. The next morning we had some time to spend together and get things ready to drive up to Pocatello later on that afternoon. It was so fun to just spend some time together- probably would have been even better if we hadn't been a little nervous about the race the next day.
We arrived in Pocatello about 5:30pm. It was so fun to meet up with Amanda, Mom Stevens and Gideon at the hotel. After getting settled, we went right over to the expo to pick up our packets. This race they even gave us duffle bags & a bag of potatoes along with our nice long-sleeved race shirt. After the expo, we went to grab some dinner.

Tom was a great sport to tag along with all us women!
Kristie, Amanda, and I spent the night at the hotel right by the race pick-up. It was a blast being together that night and we had fun laughing and just visiting. We tried to go to bed early, but I don't think any of us slept real well- do you ever on race nights? We were up at 4:30am and walked down to catch a bus up to the starting line at 5:10am.
We had some time to wait around, wait in porta-potty lines, and spent a little time trying to warm up in the barn. Finally it was time to start the race at 6:30am. Because my last race was such a bad experience, I think I was still a little psyched out by the whole marathon- so my plan was to just go out real steady. I wasn't going to try to go real fast, I just wanted to run the race consistent and finish under 4 hours. The course was beautiful for the first half. I loved running down through the mountains. It was pretty chilly- about 45 degrees at the start. I didn't get rid of my long-sleeved shirt until mile 9, and I held onto my gloves until about mile 12. The course wasn't as pretty after mile 14, and at that point we started to run through crowds of the half-marathoners, 10k's and 5k runners. It made it a little more congested, but not too bad.
(Still waiting for my ordered pictures to be e-mailed to me)
I've heard people talk about the difficulties of down-hill courses, but I didn' t really know what they meant until I hit mile 16. The Pocatello course drops about 1400 ft over the first 14 miles, then it's pretty steady for the rest of the course, except for the hill around mile 20. When I hit mile 16 my legs felt so tired and I couldn't figure out why, then I realized it was from the downhill! My quads would be dying for a few days after the race.
I wasn't too excited when I saw the big hill at about mile 20/21. I wasn't expecting it, and it's never fun to see a giant old hill at that point of a marathon. I know I was slower, but I ran the whole thing and passed probably 15 people on the way up.
By the time I hit mile 20 I was pretty sure I was going to meet my goal under 4 hours. It was fun to start seeing the big crowds of cheering people, and although it was warming up significantly- it wasn't too hot.

It was such a great feeling to get closer and closer. I'm sure it's due to the fact that by the time you get to the end, you're physically and emotionally spent, but I started to cry when I saw that finish line. Good thing I wear the sunglasses. It was even better to hear my family cheering and see them waving. My goal had been to run the race consistent and steady and finish under 4 hours. I never felt like I was dying, I know I could have pushed it harder and run faster, but I wanted to have a positive marathon experience and feel great. I was so happy to have made my goal with a 3:56:10. Not too bad for a 2nd marathon.

Amanda & Kristie did awesome too! They both also had PR races and Boston Qualifying times-both have already run Boston. Amanda took 3rd in her age division with a 3:38, and Kristie ended up taking 3rd out of the women with a time of 3:08!
Mom Stevens, Gideon, me, and Amanda
Kristie and I with our 'baby' brother Cole.

I was amazed at Kristie! Her marathon time of a 3:08 is a 7:10 pace! She placed 3rd out of the women (she would have won the race & set a new course record any other of the 12 years) and 1st in her age division. In fact, in a field of 608 marathoners, there were only 11 men that came in ahead of her. I think I will always be chasing after my little sister. :)
After the awards ceremony and the fun experience of trying to get back to the hotel in time for checkout, we had a little more time for visiting (and getting some fun pictures) while we got the cars loaded up.
It was so much fun to run the race with these girls. I love my sisters & sister-in-laws and have decided that running with them is the best way to do a race. It sure makes it a lot more fun!
I was also grateful to have support of my parents, Mom Stevens, Cole, Tom, and the kiddies. It sure makes you feel loved when they all made such an effort to be there to support all of us. I was missing Jeff and my kids, I sure wish they could have been there, but it wasn't really a possibility/financially smart option.
At the end of the race, I was a little tired, but so glad to have met my goal of running a marathon that ended well! And I was definitely looking forward to not having to get up at 6am on Saturday mornings to do long runs!

7 comments:

teresa said...

awesome angela! it's killing me that you did this in poky, that's where i grew up, i wish i could have been there! where was the course that you ran? you're amazing!

The Jensen's said...

Amazing! And Kristie at 3:08! Wow! Great job girls!

Kristie McConnon said...

Congrats again Ang on having such a great race. I knew you could do it! I just can't believe you ended up doing it again 2 weeks later! Crazy woman! Thanks for all the sweet things you said about me :-D You're too nice. Love you!

jor johnson said...

I'm so behind in the blog world! CONGRATS on both of your awesome races!!! I bet that feels so great to have gotten 2 awesome finish times...especially after the first marathon fiasco you had. I still cringe when I think of all the bad luck you had with that on. You guys are darling runners!

Annette said...

That's awesome that you got to run with your sister! You look so strong and happy in those pictures. Awesome job!

Tiffany said...

You are awesome! Great job and I am glad you had a good race this time.

Caity said...

Great job Angela! It sounds like you did such a great job and had such a fun weekend with family.