When I got home I sadly told Jeff that we couldn't even afford to buy apples- not at that price. Leave it to Jeff, he immediately set off to find a solution- one of the many reasons I love him.
He found a nearby farm, about 20 min away, where we could go and pick apples for .25 cents a pound. So one evening, we went as a family to go pick apples. The kids were so excited! They love fruits & vegetables, and what could be better than picking your own?
I was amazed how quickly we were able to pick our apples, we had lots of eager helpers and the trees were loaded. The kids' favorite part was being able to eat apples while they picked. I think Matthew must have eaten- well partially eaten- probably 5 apples during our time there. The farmer was great and a lot of fun to visit with while we picked a yummy assortment of fuji, cameo, and braeburn apples. My favorites were the cameos, Jeff liked the fujis and the kids just liked the apples. You really can't beat fresh picked apples, they're the best!

We ended up with 130 pounds of apples! It only took us about 30 minutes to pick them. Good thing about these apples is that they'll store for months in a cool garage- we originally planned on having this pick last us for a few months, but it's been so fun to share them with friends and family that I think we might have to go back for more. I certainly don't feel bad- especially getting amazing fresh picked apples at .25 cents a pound versus the $1.50/lb supermarket price. It was sure a fun evening. I would highly recommend family apple picking to anyone!
3 comments:
he gets the "husband/dad gold star" for that one! How cute that he went to find you a solution so you could get apples lol!!
What an awesome deal!! We have gone apple picking here but it is actually cheaper to buy them in the store! The places near by is a tourist trap but you can't beat the expericne of picking your own apples. I am glad you guys are doing well.
Twenty-five cents a pound! Man that's awesome! We like to go pick apples out here for fun, but it certainly isn't that cost effective. Fun times!
Post a Comment