Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Bed Time

When Jacob was about 4.5 months old, I found a crib for him at a yard sale. It was just a basic white crib that had already gone through the family's three boys. We were in our 2nd year of medical school, so although the crib wasn't perfect, the $40 price tag was.
This crib went through all three of our boys as well and was great. When we moved we had absolutely no extra space, our trailer was literally packed to the top, so sadly I had to leave the crib behind.
When we moved out, I figured I'd just find another used crib on Craigslist. I found a nice used mattress & baby monitor on craigslist, but much to my surprise, there wasn't much available for cribs. It was usually one of two things: 1- the crib was so old that it was completely outdated on all modern safety standards 2- the people wanted over $200 for it. I looked for over a month, and we finally decided it would be better & cheaper to just buy a new one. It's nice that you can actually buy new cribs for just over $100 these days.
So for the first time in our lives, we got a new crib and Emily finally has her first real bed at 5 months old. It was also the first time I finally bought some crib bedding. Our boys just did with a hand-me-down bumper from ebay because Holy Cow! $300 for a bedding set?! I looked around and found a set that I loved for Emily for about $70. Still a good chunk of money, but I used birthday money and thought it was worth the splurge. It's so fun to have a cute crib setup for our little girl. She seems so little in the big crib after the pack 'n play.
We also finally got a little bed for Matthew. Poor kid, he slept in the crib up until we moved and since then he's been camping out on the floor on blankets. He was SO excited to have his very own bed! He and Emily share a little bedroom so a toddler bed was the perfect fit. It's also nice that Matthew is now more excited for bedtime!

6 comments:

Joey and Michelle Chandler Family said...

Holy cuteness!!! I love her bed and bedding set. It is so dang cute! Where did you get the bedding set? It's adorable. I'm glad you were able to get Emily and Matthew both a bed. Matthew's is cute too. What fun new purchases!!

nathalia said...

Cute bedding! I love both bed sets!

Holly Sanders said...

that beddieng is darling! I'm sure you'll get lots of compliments on it! Isn't it amazing how school makes us frugal for life?

jor said...

I LOVE the crib, I LOVE white furniture!!The bedding is so cute too. I bet it is fun to get to buy new things for a girl. I know they are all just babies, but I still feel like a girl baby would appreciate a cute bed more than a boy. :)
When Colin was born we splurged on a nice crib. I really really wanted one that would be used for all my kids. My mom & grandma did the same thing and then passed them on. In our move out here it got snapped into pieces. So sad :(

Tamar and Trevor said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the bedding!

K'Lyn said...

So cute! Great picks. She does look tiny in her crib and he looks thrilled with his new stuff. Fun!!