Monday, August 30, 2010

Back to School Shopping

When I was in school, we had a tradition in our family of going back to school shopping with my mom. We would work during the summer doing various things and save up our money. Then we would draw names of the order we would go in, and we would each have a chance to spend a couple hours going shopping with my mom for a back to school outfit/school supplies/etc. We would also get to choose where to go to eat for lunch (cheap of course). When we got home, we would model the clothes for each other. It was such a fun tradition, that I wanted to continue it with my kids.
Of course it's a little different with just one child in 1st grade and a child in preschool- especially since they're boys and shopping isn't very high on their enjoyment list, but I tried to make it fun for them. Caleb obviously didn't need much for preschool, but we went to Target after his preschool orientation and I let him choose a couple shirts and then a fun little toy. His favorite part though was choosing a treat at Target's little fast-food restaurant. He chose a pretzel and some popcorn. Caleb is definitely my worst shopper- and I say that in the best possible way- he just loves to run around and can't stand to sit there and make decisions over the best deals. :) Most of his friends are starting kindergarten this year. Because of his birthday, he missed the deadline by one day and to be completely honest- I am very happy to keep this sweet, busy, little guy of mine home for another year.
Jacob had fun choosing a couple shirts and pair of pants- he found a "How to Train Your Dragon" t-shirt on the clearance rack for $3 and immediately knew that would be his first day of school outfit. :) Although it wouldn't have been my first choice, I'm learning that kids have their own opinions and I love to see them choose things that they love. He was so excited about the shirt & so was Caleb. They are definitely boys. Jacob and I had fun going to get a bite to eat too. I went back to get a straw and turned around to see Jacob sitting on the chair looking out the window. I just had a moment of disbelief wash over me. To me, Jacob is still my firstborn little boy, how could he really be old enough to be going to 1st grade? I'm so grateful for him, and his sweet little personality.

It was a lot of fun to have both kids for some one-on-one time together and they both had fun spending time alone with me too. I definitely want to keep this a tradition.

No comments: