Monday, October 19, 2009

Happy Birthday Matthew

It's amazing to me that this is where we were at just 2 years ago today. Matthew is now my big 2-year old, and no longer a baby. Matthew’s birthday happened to fall on a Monday, which meant that he and I got to enjoy some one-on-one time together in the morning while the other boys were at school. I figured we’d take advantage of the time and do some things that he'd enjoy. First of all we went to the pet store so he could play with all the puppies that he absolutely adores!
He was so excited and loved running back and forth in front of all the little puppies in their pens. They were excited to see him too and would play with him through the glass. It was fun to watch. After a little while, I asked the store clerk if we could get one out. I thought I had made a good choice, but as soon as they put the puppy down it went crazy! Matthew thought it was fun for a little while, but after the puppy kept jumping on him and nipping at his clothes, he’d had enough. So we had them put the puppy back and just enjoyed them from behind the glass again. Matthew thought it was great, and I was reminded again how glad I am that we don’t have a pet!
He thought the birds, ferrets and fish were pretty fun to see as well.
Our last stop of the morning was to Baskin Robbins to pick out an ice cream cone. They have a great little birthday club, so Matthew was excited to pick out an ice cream cone, and I was happy that it was free! It was fun to have some time to spend with just him that morning. I love doing things with him that make him happy.
The Cake
I made his birthday cake later on, and the boys helped me decide that a race car birthday would be the best for Matthew. I did a basic sheet cake with a race track & some cars on it. The boys thought it was awesome! Now every single one of our boys had had a race car birthday cake for their 2nd or 3rd birthdays.

The birthday boy excited for his presents.
He definitely has some eager 'helpers' to help him with all those presents! They went through the pile pretty quick!

He is definitely a boy, his very favorite presents were the cars & car toys. Once he'd opened a couple of them he was ready to be done & just play with them.
I think all three of them were excited about the cars. Jacob and Caleb helped Matthew get right into those toys!
Trying to take all 11 cars with him. It's so funny to watch him try and carry all of them together.
He kept loosing a couple whenever he'd try to walk.
The prized toys of the evening. All of the boys spent the night playing together. I felt pretty good about the popularity of the toys since we'd been able to get all of Matthew's presents for $30.
Happy Birthday to You! **

A few things about Matthew on his 2nd birthday. (Don't feel obligated to read...just keeping track for myself:)

- Matthew loves to share his treats, with brothers, family, and friends. Often times if I give him a treat, (m&m’s) he’ll sit and give them all away without eating hardly any of them. I love how he says, “Here go!”

- He loves to sing. He’ll sing in the car while we’re driving, or even just around the house. Usually it’s his own lyrics without much meaning, but he’s got the sweetest little voice. My favorite is when he sings and walks around to his singing.

- Matthew doesn’t like layers. Extra jackets, hoodies, hats, etc. He fights wearing his suit coat at church and finally will let me put a jacket on him before school because it’s freezing! Halloween might be rough…

- He loves puppies & dogs! He gets so excited when he sees them & loves to point them out and try to pet them if he’s close. He also loves to ‘be’ a puppy and crawls on hands and knees & say “fuf”. I think it’s cute.

- Matthew loves to look at books. Sometimes he won’t take a nap, but usually he’ll be okay in his crib (after the first 5 minutes) with some cars, or a stack of books to look at.

- He’s very competitive. He loves to race his brothers to the car every time we leave the house or come back from the car. He gets upset when they pass him. He always loves to be right in the middle of whatever they’re doing.

- He really does think he’s one of the big kids and likes to be right with them. It makes him upset when they don’t acknowledge or include him. J

- Matthew loves babies. When he sees one, he loves to yell out “baby” and go see them. He likes to rock them in their carseats, and see their little hands and feet. Hopefully this means he’ll be a good and helpful older brother in a few months!

- He likes to give kisses to the family, especially if Jacob or Caleb gets hurt. He’ll go over, give them a hug & kiss and say, “sorry.”

- He also loves it when his brothers kiss his hurts to make them better. If he falls down while running, I can give him a hug and kiss & he’ll keep whining, but as soon as Jacob or Caleb gives him a hug & kiss, he’ll stop immediately.

- He loves to run…especially away…and he’s fast! He really does love to have space where he can just run around as much as he wants. One reason I’m excited for life beyond city living.

- Matthew loves milk & would drink it all day long if I’d let him.

- He loves cars, busses, trucks, trains, etc. Pretty much anything that most little boys love. He always has to point out all the trucks & busses we pass while driving.

- Loves to try and get up and play on the computer, or climb stools to the top of the entertainment center, and the table, and the counter tops.

- I love how he tells us, “I wuv u!” He’s a sweet little boy and we all sure love him!


4 comments:

Alissa said...

Aww I'm so glad Matthew had such a fun day (thanks to mommy!) Your cake looks incredible!!! I love it! you got mad cake decorating skills girl! Love it! Can't believe your baby is 2!!!

teresa said...

what a fun day for matthew, he's such a cutie! you're an awesome mom!

Perfectly Imperfect said...

I am almost crying because it was just one minute ago that MY boys were that age and now Tanner will pass the sacrament in FOUR MONTHS! Snuggle that boy for us. We can't wait to be your neighbors - we ARE going to be neighbors - right?

Amanda Stevens said...

Cute little boy! I love his personality. You guys need to come closer so Matthew and Gideon can celebrate their next birthday together!