Jacob was supposed to start kindergarten on September 15th, but because we were on vacation visiting family, he didn’t end up starting until Monday, September 20th. I don’t even know how long he’s been excited about starting kindergarten. He’s been talking about it for over a year and would always ask me how much longer until it started. We were able to meet his teacher and visit his new classroom last week, so when we got back he was all ready to go. I just wasn’t sure if I was ready to let him go!
It was so fun to pick him up after his first day; Caleb & Matthew get pretty excited about going to pick him up as well. Jacob was so excited to tell me about every little detail. He likes his teacher and his classmates, and loves all the activities they get to do. He told me about lunch, and recess (it makes me a little sad that they only have one 15-minute recess a day) and the games they played. He also told me that he had been chosen to be the line-leader for the week, and he was pretty excited about that. I knew it was good when later on that evening, he asked me how many hours there were until he got to go back to school.
Jacob is lucky to have 4 other good friends, who all happen to be boys, in his same class this year
After a whole week of kindergarten, he is still just as excited about going; which makes me so happy and helps me feel better about leaving him there all day long.
It’s amazing how for so long I’ve just thought of Jacob as my little boy. Ever since he was born, he’s been home with me. He’s had times where he’s been gone a few hours a week for preschool, but for the most part we’ve spent most of our days together. At times, it just felt like it would always be that way. It’s such a strange feeling knowing that all of a sudden, they’re old enough to be away from you all day long, 5 days a week. For the next 13 years, he’ll only belong to me on weekends, holidays, and during summer time. After those 13 years, he won’t even belong to me. While I’ve been excited for him as well, it’s such a big step and one I admit I was a little afraid to take. I’m not sure I’m ready to be entering this stage of life. Jacob is the first, the rest will follow, and our lives will never be the same. I guess that’s how life is though; change can be difficult, but it’s also necessary, and we certainly wouldn’t want our children to be stuck forever as small children. I’m looking forward to all the fun things that lie in the future, the fun times and new adventures that come with older children, teenagers, young adults, and adults. But for right now, even though I’m so happy for Jacob, I’m slightly mourning the loss of young childhood. It’s a good thing Jacob is so eager to move forward to the next step in life. He’s a sweetheart and we’re sure grateful for him.*
4 comments:
Aww that post pulled my heartstrings:) you expressed your feelings so well into words and I feel the same way:) Time goes by so fast!
Kindergarten for the whole day??? Goodness, that could tear out a mother's heart! It's good kids are so much braver than their mommies!
We also have full day kindergarten here...you said it just right. Life will never be the same again. I also just imagined my day would always be with them since that is what I'm used to and it was weird to have Preston gone,not just one day, but every day now. Makes me appreciate the little ones with me even more. Congrats on the new one baking! You are amazing!!
I couldn't believe they walk in without you! Wow! All day! That is really great that he loves it. All the other details that would make you realize how quickly time goes. My oldest is also in K and I have tried to soak up even more moments with my her when I can and my others all day. A struggle and a blessing. Thanks for that post.
Post a Comment