Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Happy Birthday Caleb

Because we were in Outer Banks over Caleb’s birthday, we didn’t really get to fully celebrate his 4th birthday. I had gotten his birthday presents beforehand, so on Monday night after getting back we had a little birthday party for him. The great thing about Caleb is that he really doesn’t care if it’s his real birthday or not; if he’s getting presents, that’s enough for him! He was so excited and so were Jacob and Matthew. I love celebrating birthdays with your kids when they get so excited about it. Of course, considering that we have three boys and they all tend to like the same toys, when it’s a birthday for one it’s pretty much a birthday for all!

They all had a good time playing with the toys. I think the hit toys of the evening were a couple of cheaper little motorized trucks with tow cables. They worked great, and the boys spent the rest of the night towing random toys and objects around the house. They even helped by wrapping the tow cables around the leftover wrapping paper and driving it to the trash can!
Caleb is such a fun boy and a special part of our family. He has such a lively and unique personality, and our family just wouldn’t be the same without him. He can be extremely stubborn and driven to do what he wants, but he is also a softie with a big heart and is usually quick to give in to others if it will make them feel better. I love his big dimpled smile that he is so quick to give. I also love the little impish grin he gives when he’s doing something he knows he shouldn’t be.
He is still a bit of a wild man and loves to run around and do what he wants to do. I still have to chase him down at times, and I have to remind him that it’s okay to be cautious at times. He isn’t shy at all, and is quick to make friends or strike up conversations with just about anyone. While he can be extremely entertaining, sometimes we worry a little about the things that will come out of his mouth. He’s definitely not afraid to speak his mind or give his opinion.
I can’t believe that my little guy is already 4. He’ll be starting preschool on September 20th and can hardly wait. I am excited for him, but I do have to admit that I’m glad he won’t be starting kindergarten for another two years. The birthday cut-off date for starting school is on or before September 1st, and Caleb’s birthday is September 2nd. I’m glad I get to keep him home for one more year with me. We sure love our Caleb and are so grateful to have him in our family!


3 comments:

Alissa said...

Aww Happy birthday little buddy! I love everything he has to say, it's always a riot! Love you kiddo!Caleb & Claira's birthdays are 1 day apart! How cool is that?!

Amanda Stevens said...

Wow Birthday really scored...we need to send our boys to your house on their birthdays! Love you guys

Joey and Michelle Chandler Family said...

Happy Birthday to Caleb! Man, he sure looks like a Tanner to me. Whenever you are describing your kids it makes me think how similar their personalities are to my kids'. The first one is so responsible, the second one has a wild side and a sweet side, and the third one is well, crazy. It's nice to know you're out there going through the fun and sometimes difficult times as I am. :)