Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Rest of the Week

It was sure fun to enjoy time with Jeff this week. It's been nice to just have a laid-back week to enjoy being together as a family. I think with his busy schedule over these past 6 years, I've become pretty independent and self reliant. (Anyone who's gone through med school, and especially residency, or just has a husband who works long hours can relate) I love Jeff, but because he is gone so much, and because I'm left on my own so often, I've also wanted to be a mother who can take care of the house and children confidently on my own. I guess in a way, I've wanted to become slightly hardened to the emotion of wanting my husband constantly with me. Only because if I don't, I'm setting myself up for loneliness and disappointment. I love him and love every minute he can spend with me and our family, but I can also be okay when I'm on my own with our boys.
It's funny though, all my experience, and all the time I've spent 'training' myself to be this way can be completely undone in a week long vacation with Jeff constantly at my side. So I find myself in mourning here on a Sunday night, knowing that my best friend has to go back to work again tomorrow morning, and wondering how I'll make it through the week without him. I wish every week could be a vacation week... I guess it's time to go back to being strong again.
On Thursday afternoon we went to the nearby playhouse and playground. The boys loved showing Jeff all the fun things and especially the giant slide. They loved going on it together, racing down to see who was the fastest. Jeff would take Matthew with him and they all loved it. My favorite part? Sitting in the shady grass next to Jeff, playing with Matthew, and watching Jacob and Caleb build piles of leaves in the grass.
Saturday morning I finished a 16 mile run and came home to the boys laughing and playing with Jeff on the floor, with breakfast all ready on the table. After a day of working around the house and on the car, and running errands, we took the boys fishing. They've been dying to go for so long. They each have their own little fishing pole and had been 'practicing' for quite a while. We found a nice quiet little place on the nearby river. Unfortunately the fish weren't too hungry that night. We didn't catch anything, but we sure had a fun time together. (pictures to come as soon as I upload them to the computer)

2 comments:

teresa said...

What a great week with your hubby! I know what you mean about how great it is to become independent, but how hard it is to be without your man. I'm just starting to feel the effects of being a "single mom" for a good part of the day. I like the confidence it give me as a mom, but I sure miss my guy when he's gone!

Joey and Michelle Chandler Family said...

I know how you feel with trying to be the strong mom and wife who constantly misses her husband when he's gone but tries not to ever say anything about it. I also think you are the perfect mother for three boys! Fishing, battleships, sharks, frog hunting, I don't know if I could do the frog hunting thing. I didn't mind when I was little, but now may be another story!:) You're an amazing woman! Sounds like you had a wonderful week vacation! It's great to have those times every once in a while!