On Saturday, May 3rd I ran my 2nd half marathon in New York City. I found out about it online a few weeks before and thought it looked like fun, plus it was about the only race in the area that was on a Saturday. There are a series of 5 half marathons through each of New York City's five Burroughs, this was the Brooklyn half marathon. What made it even more fun was that 5 of us decided to run it. It's always more fun when you can train and run with friends. (Fun fact: between the 5 of us, we have 13 children)
Another great thing about the race being in New York was that we were able to drive up the morning of the race. We planned to leave around 5:30 in the morning (the race had a 9am start time). Of course, there are always unexpected bumps that come up, and things that cause for a more stressful trip (i.e. taking off late, forgetting a sports bra, taking wrong turns, getting stuck in traffic, etc.) I was grateful that we arrived at 8:15 and that Robyn was able to pick up my packet for me. Even with a rough start to the day, the race went great. The weather was just a little chilly, but good for running. There were tons of people (almost 6,000 finished the race) so there were lots of people cheering us on the whole way. The course was great, the first 3 miles went along the beach and boardwalk-which was fun even though it was a major hazard! We saw a couple people wipe out because some of the boards were pretty loose. From there we headed up Ocean City Parkway for just over a 5 mile stretch. I think that was my least favorite part just because it was just a straight shot and the scenery of tree lined streets with houses didn't change. After mile 8 we started heading to Prospect Park. Definitely a lot more hilly (mile 10 was completely uphill), but the scenery was beautiful so even though it was tougher running, it was more enjoyable. I was feeling much better around miles 10, 11, and 12 than I was even at 4 & 5, and I know a lot of it was just because of the area we were running in.
It was such a fun experience, and I loved having Jeff and the boys there to cheer me on. I was happy with how the race went, especially since I only trained for 3 1/2 weeks. I still have my training schedule posted on my fridge, and the first couple days that I ran I only did 3 miles, and that was an accomplishment. I remember wondering if I was really going to be able to do the race in a decent time. This half marathon was definitely a great experience for me and I'm looking forward to doing some more in the future.



9 comments:
Hey Ang! It's your cousin Michelle! Congrats on doing the Marathon! You are one amazing woman and I really enjoy looking at your blog! Thanks to your example. I finally broke down and made one myself. It's jmchandlerfam.blogspot.com. I really enjoy reading about what you have to say because we're in the same stage in life. It's pretty fun! Have a great day and happy 3 kids days!
Way to go Ang!! I'm so impressed you had the guts to do the half marathon considering your baby isn't that old. I love reading your blog. It reminds me of the awsome people in Philly. You are always so positive and full of energy. Way to go on such a cute family!!
You ladies are SO amazing! Very impressive and I'm sure you had fun!
Way to go Angela. Running a half marathon is amazing, I am totally impressed!
Wow! You are amazing! What a great accomplishment. I can't believe how much energy, pep, and vigor you have with three kids and a busy schedule. I am extremely impressed. =)
What fun! There is something special about running friends and getting through events like a half together. YOu look great and way to go on your time. Your family is absolutely darling. It's fun to keep up with you.
That is so awesome! Way to go! I would love to do that someday! I think it is an amazing example to set for you kids! You're an inspiration!
P.S. 3 and 1/2 weeks is so impressive!
I am so proud of you guys! Wow! I wish I could have come along, but I probably would have slowed you down. Good job!
Post a Comment