Sunday, May 18, 2008

Father & Son Campout...Or Not

So Friday night was supposed to be the Father & Son campout. Jacob and Caleb were so excited and had been talking about it all week. I was also excited because Matthew and I were going to spend the evening with some other friends whose children and/or husbands were also going on the campout. Well, you can't ever count on Pennsylvania weather. It had been nice most of the week, but Friday it rained all day- and not just little sprinkles, it was pouring.
When Jeff got home around 5, I had everything packed and ready for them to go, but the weather was lousy enough that they ended up not going. I was teasing him that all our time here in the big city had turned him into a bit of a sissy, but really I didn't blame him. It would take over an hour to get up to the campsite, and Jeff had to be back early the next morning for a health clinic anyway, so spending one quick night in a drippy tent with a 2 & 4 year old (not to mention a newly potty-trained 2 year old) didn't sound very exciting. Even at that, it took some convincing to Jacob and Caleb to stay home- they were pretty set on going! Finally they decided it would be okay to stay home since we're going camping Memorial Day weekend, and because they were able to go pick out a movie together and make smoothies. On a side note, there were many others from our ward who also didn't end up going on the campout.
As a bonus for me, I still got to have a girls night out with friends, but didn't have to worry about putting Matthew to sleep there. He was able to sleep at home while Jeff & the boys watched their movie. So I enjoyed a fun night of pizza, treats, and lots of visiting with the girls. I had to head back home sooner than most, Matthew woke up and was hungry at 11:30, but most of the others stayed until about 3am. Even though it didn't work out exactly as planned, I think everyone still had a fun night. We'll just look forward to the Father & Son outing again next year.

2 comments:

brohammas said...

BOOOOOOOO!
Don't tell me another westerner has become and eastern tenderfoot.
really the rain wasn't bad, the ground was flat, and no one fell in the river.
I'll forgive you if you move south of Wissahickon or Erie.

Aileen Taylor said...

Girls night was so much fun. We'll have to do it again soon... I want more of that fruit dip of yours!!!