Saturday, November 26, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving this year. It was really laid back and relaxing. The kids had a half day of school on Wednesday, and then had the rest of the week off. Originally we had planned to do Thanksgiving with a few families, but because of some people being under the weather, we ended up just having the Bassetts over. I actually thought it worked out perfectly! We divided the meal and had a great time together.
Jeff and Jacob were in charge of doing the turkey. I ended up doing over 5 dozen rolls, 2 cheesecakes, 2 apple pies, a pumpkin cake, vegetables, appetizers, ice cream and drinks. Ken & Shelly did the ham, mashed potates & gravy, pumpkin pie, salad, and other sides. Needless to say, we had lots of leftovers which is always a sign of a successful Thanksgiving!
The kids loved the food, but especially the little cans of soda. I love that our kids get along so well together. They had a blast playing games in the basement before and after dinner.
I was a little bummed- we finally found a dining table on Craigslist, and then we found and ordered some chairs. As luck would have it, they were delivered at 8am the day AFTER Thanksgiving. So we enjoyed Thanksgiving dinner with metal church fold-up chairs. It was fine though, we just enjoyed having friends over. Next year we'll have a few families and we'll have real chairs.
The Bassetts stayed till about 8:30pm when Ken had to leave for his shift at the ER. The kids were sad to say goodbye, until they realized they'd see each other the next day anyway. Friday night, Jeff ended up going out to try and get some black Friday deals. I don't know what my deal was, but I was starting to fall asleep at 10:30, getting old I guess.
It was a wonderful Thanksgiving with great friends, and left us feeling so grateful for the many blessings we enjoy.
Emily with our annual "Thankful" tree

No comments: