Saturday, June 18, 2011

June Temple Trip

We were able to take a trip to the temple in June. When we lived in Philadelphia, we were about 2.5 hours from the nearest temple, but when we were in Washington we lived about 4 minutes from the Columbia River Temple- it was amazing! We could go on week nights & mornings, and both of us could easily do a session on a Saturday. Once again we're far away from the nearest temple, but it does give us the excuse to take a fun road trip each month.
We took off at 7am Saturday morning- it took longer because some roads are under water due to flooding. Our Relief Society was so thoughtful and provided babysitting at a nearby church house so that couples could go together. It was so nice to be with Jeff and it was wonderful to be at the temple.
I was hoping Emily would do well while we were gone, but I don't think any of the kids even missed us! They had so much fun playing with friends at the gym they were sad to see us back so soon.
From there, we went to see the Winter Quarters visitor's center. The kids enjoyed seeing all the neat displays.
I have a picture taken in this exact spot about 6 years ago. We were living in Nebraska during one of Jeff's away rotations. Jacob was 18 months old and I was 8 months pregnant with Caleb. I'll have to see if I can dig it up out of our old files. It's fun to see how much things have changed!
The train display was one of the boys' favorites.
The visitor's center also has on display, a really amazing exhibit of statues depicting various times during the Savior's life. There were probably 15 or so bronze statues and each one was simply breathtaking. It's a traveling exhibit that will go around to various places in the country, and I was really excited we were able to see it.
We didn't get home until about 8pm Saturday night, and everyone was a little tired, but it was a great trip.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

We loved the Winter Quarters Temple when we were there. It has so much history!

supertosha said...

This has been our home temple for the last three years now. I'm so glad you got to see and enjoy it, and the Trail Center with the display! It is such a neat place! One of the grave stones that was moved to build the temple came from an Amy Porter. At the overlook at the trail center there is a plaque that tells her story. My first two kiddos are named Aimee and Porter. I thought that was a funny coincidence.