Monday, October 1, 2007

The Name Game

I'm now just a bit over two weeks away from the big due date of our new baby. Of course when talking with people there are three standard questions. #1-When are you due? That one's easy. #2-What are you having? Again, a simple answer. #3-Do you have a name picked out?

So I wonder when answering, do I give them the quick answer or the 10 minute version? No we don't have a name for sure. Yes we've been thinking about it. Maybe we've been procrastinating. Yes, the baby is due almost any time now. We have been trying to narrow down the millions of possibilities into a more reasonable list of maybe 5-10 names. There are names we like, but we know way too many people with those names. My husband seems satisfied to veto all my name choices without returning other possible names in return. (okay, okay, he has been making an effort to contribute to the options the past few days, and has come up with two names- unfortunately ones that I'm not particularly sold on) Maybe we just need to see the baby first & the name will magically enter both our minds. Who knew it would be such a complicated process to pick one simple name? I guess that's a common problem; trying to find the name that is *perfect* for your baby.

Jacob has suggested that we name the new baby "Jacob" too. Hmm, if he's okay with that we'll just have Jacob #1 and Jacob #2, simple enough! Maybe we can even take on the practice of the "Sound of Music" and give each child a personalized whistle signal that they respond to! Okay, I guess we can be a little more creative than numbered children. Although it would make it more simple to just call out, "Clean your room #1." or "Your turn to set the table #3." (Just kidding)

I'm sure the name will come, hopefully before the baby. All I can say is that I'm amazed by the people who can make up their minds about the name as soon as they find out they're pregnant, have all the baby things embroidered, the nursery painted & customized with the name before the baby is actually even delivered!

Well, only a couple more weeks to worry about a name and then the whole process will be over. The baby will be named and I'll forget all about the ordeal that went into choosing one 4-8 letter word. The name will be perfect for the baby and through the rest of his life we'll wonder why we even worried about coming up with this name that fits him so perfectly.

For now, I'll stick with the simple answer when asked if we have a name picked out. "Not quite, but we're close."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Angela,
I understand your dilema. Try coming up with your 5th boy's name. We go the rounds constantly. I am not allowing for Scott's coveted "Gideon" to go on the top of our list. Hey I know you don't have many minutes - Therefore I am not the wisest person to talk to on a regular basis - but I wanted you to know everyone is thinking about you here at the homefront. I think people asume I've always got the in on the happenings at your place! Hey is your parents dog going to have pups? We are going to go pick up Rico at the pound today. Somebody kenneled him during church yesterday and called the Humane Society on him. Weird neighbors who forget we live in the country and occasionally animals do roam. I am not to thrilled at the $100 dollars plus it will cost us to retrieve him. A few updates: We sold Dixie, Nettie sold Luke, so we are down 11 dogs at our place and Mom's 1 dog. I must have started a trend in July cutting my hair decently short because you and Bobo are the only ones left with long hair. Gina is tetering on the idea of really short hair despite our encouraging otherwise. Just a few details that you might not have already known. Unfortunately I am feeling like I should only have 2 weeks to go and that is a bad thing with still 5 weeks ticking. I just have never experienced the occasional cankle and beached whale syndrome before now. Chalk it up to the motherhood alter and despite Scott feeling jipped in the boy to girl ratio - I don't intend on going through this process again. Bring on the cute 30's where you are enjoying the next stage of life. Have a great day and let us know of any news in the impending big arrival. Yes I will soon be the lone ranger in this rodeo. I think you should ponder on Odis Porter Stevens, kinda catchy!
Love you, Amanda

Michelle & Steve said...

I'm the same way - can never quite commit until I see the baby. And even then it has always taken longer than the time they give you in the delivery room. Good luck - he doesn't need a name till you leave the hospital - you've got plenty of time! :)

Debbie said...

It gets even harder to choose a name if you don't know the gender. We usually have long lists of boy and girl names that we like, but never actually choose one until the baby is born.