Thursday, October 4, 2007

A Finished Project

When we moved into our new apartment, I knew we were going to need some solutions for the 2 small bedrooms. First of all we decided to just put the boys in the master bedroom & take the smaller bedroom for ourselves, which has worked out great. Even at that I knew it would be a tight fit for the three boys in one room, especially when it came to the bed situation. Our new baby will be in the crib (Caleb still occupies that for now), but I needed to figure out something for Jacob & Caleb. I knew we could do bunk-beds, which many people have done great with, but I’m just not ready for that quite yet. I know we’d be bound for some ER visits for sure, especially with Caleb. What I really wanted was to find a nice trundle bed. After diligently searching for over 3 months, I’ve found it’s nearly impossible to find a good one that isn’t a girly wrought-iron day bed. I finally found a company online that had a great bed that was just what I wanted. Only catch… I didn’t really want to pay the $350 price tag, plus the cost of the mattresses on top of that. I continued to look around & hadn’t found anything so one morning I figured I had waited long enough, (well, Jacob had been sleeping on a made-up bed long enough) and sat down to order the bed. I figured I would check on Craigslist one more time and would you believe it? There was a beautiful white trundle bed that someone was selling for $150! I e-mailed them immediately and as luck would have it, the first person who contacted the seller about the bed wasn’t able to follow through so we were able to go pick it up. The seller was a nice guy & their family lived in an absolutely beautiful neighborhood which is a great thing when you’re buying their bed. Anyway, it was just what I had wanted. There was just one little problem…The bed had belonged to their 6 year old daughter & the headboard, footboard and both sides of the trundle were painted with all sorts of flowers & butterflies. It was beautiful, but not exactly what you want for your two boys! Actually Jacob was pretty excited at first and said, “Look Mom there’s flowers on my bed!” But he soon decided that he wanted a “boy” bed, and the flowers & butterflies had to go! So we looked around, got paint samples, etc. and finally last week I sanded & painted the bed. (The areas with the paintings) I wouldn’t call it perfect, but I think it turned out pretty well! With Jacob’s new bedspread I think it’s now a bed fit for boys! If anything, they sure enjoy it! I’m just glad it works so well because it saved money and it sure saves a lot of space in their room. Now we’ll see how well they’ll actually sleep in it!

4 comments:

Sharisse said...

What an awesome idea! I may have to use it! You look great! I'm sure everyone loves having you back in the ward!!!

Caity said...

Way to go Angela! How do you do it? You are a super mom! Did they stay in them? I've been thinking about bunk-beds, but it seems like a big jump for toddlers. That may be a solution for us too! I love reading your blog!

Sharesa Larsen said...

Great idea! The bed looks great and thanks for your comments on my blog!

sara cardon said...

What a clever mommy!! It's such a game trying to maximize space in these little tiny apartments!! Their room looks adorable.:)