Tuesday, July 17, 2007

July Happenings

Caleb got his first bee sting. I felt bad for him, but he was kind of asking for it. We have a little pool that the boys like to play in. That afternoon they were playing in the water, then they’d get out and run around, get back in the pool, etc. Jacob decided he wanted to lay on his towel for a little while, and Caleb decided he wanted to chase bees. He would run over to where they were and try to step on them. I stopped him and tried to explain that the bees would sting him if he stepped on them. I told him they would “bite” him and he would get an owie. (He understands how biting hurts!) Well, he just thought it was too fun to chase the bees and so the next one he went after got him. He got stung right on the foot. Luckily it was just a honey bee that only stings once, and I got the stinger out quickly, but he was pretty sad. He’s tough though and didn’t cry much. I think he’s finally learned his lesson & I don’t image he’ll go chasing after too many more bees.


Jacob has gotten into a funny stage. For the past 6 months or so, he's been very specific that he only wants me to do his hair with water. No hairspray, no gel, no nothing... only water. I would try to coax him to let me use other things because his hair is so thick it just doesn't stay done, but he was set. Well for some reason, the past couple weeks he's gone completely the opposite way. He thinks it makes him look handsome like Daddy. He's still specific about how he wants things done, but it's more like, "I want gel, then water, then hairspray." And lately, he's gotten into doing it all himself which would be fine except that he'll get this huge glob of gel & rub it right into the middle of his head. And then he'll spray it with hairspray about 10 times. It's kind of gross, but so funny. On Sunday morning when we were getting ready for church, Jacob did his hair while I was finishing getting Caleb dressed. Lets just say that he had some of the stiffest hair I've ever seen! I'm going to have to hide the gel & hairspray from now on.

I’ve hit the 6 ½ month mark. (Well, almost 27 weeks along) I’ve found this pregnancy to be very similar to my others. I usually stay small for a long time, then I’ll hit a growth spurt, (or the baby hits a growth spurt) between 24 & 27 weeks. Then I go from looking a little pokey around the middle to being pretty obviously pregnant. Not huge, but just a cute round tummy that sticks straight out like a ball under my shirt. This baby has been an active little guy & I imagine he’ll take after his brothers and be a busy little boy. It’s been fun for Jacob & Caleb so see and feel him move and kick. They think it’s pretty funny. Jacob is convinced that he’s going to be the best big brother ever & has already informed me that he’s going to “Take his baby brother trick-or-treating, and share his candy, and break up the ‘chokey’ candies so the baby doesn’t choke on them.” (Jacob has asked me when the baby will be born & I’ve told him it will be around Halloween) Anyway, we’ve been enjoying talking with Jacob & Caleb about the new baby, discussing possible names, etc. Now I’m just waiting to get to see the doctor when Jeff’s insurance finally kicks in.

We’ve spent a good amount of time in New Jersey lately. The real estate market in Philadelphia has really gone up even in the past year. We were really hoping to find a nice place with a yard, but in our price range there isn’t much available. Even to rent a semi-nice house will run you about $1300 plus utilities, we have found a couple apartment complexes that are only $1150 plus utilities. We might just find a place to rent for the 3 years we’ll be here, but Jeff wanted to be open to other possibilities as well, so we’ve spent a little time looking around in New Jersey. The homes are cheaper, and there is actually room for a nice-sized yard. (A must-have with 3 boys!) We don’t know for sure what we’re doing, but we’re keeping options open. I love the idea of being in a nice area with a nice house & yard, but I love being in Philadelphia in a familiar place that I’ve grown to love, with many great friends around. I guess we’ll see what happens and where the Lord directs us.

Jacob & Caleb have been enjoying the wildlife here in Philadelphia. Almost every morning or evening there will be rabbits that will come into our yard or the neighbors yard & eat the grass. The boys love to look out the windows and watch them. I especially love how Caleb calls them “Abbits” Jacob also gets excited about the lightening bugs and loves to catch them whenever he can.

Caleb's favorite song lately has been, "Jesus wants me for a Sunbeam" He'll go around the house singing it all day with an emphasis on the "Sunbeam" part. He was even singing it at the grocery store the other day. It's so cute, I love to hear his sweet little voice singing.

As far as things happening with our family; I had a cousin get married this past week. I wish I could have been there! Congratulations to Shawnee & Austin Jenkins! My grandparents will be celebrating their 50th anniversary coming up this next week. And Jeff’s mom is just finishing surgery for appendicitis, so hopefully she’s doing well!

1 comment:

Holly Sanders said...

hey! If it were me, I would go for the house with the yard. As your kids get older, it gets so much harder to live in an apartment. We just oved to a home with a yard, and it has been such a blessing. We are so done with apartment life. I know how you feel aout expensive places to rent. We had the same problem here in Allentown--1400 for something decent and that didn't include any utilities. We got lucky and found a decent place with a very nice yard for 950. But since you're going to be there 3 years, Jacob will be 6-7 and yes, 3 boys need some running room. Ok, I"ll stop--just thought I'd give you some advice.