Thursday, December 23, 2010

Pre-Christmas Fun


After the reception, we were able to enjoy some time with the family before Christmas. This year was an "in-law" year, so the married couples would be with our other families, but it worked out great that we had a little time before Christmas to spend together with the Tanner side.

The weather cooperated perfectly for a Christmas season, and the boys were able to play in the snow and make a snowman.
My Dad also reminded us of a tradition we started many years ago when I was about 11. There was a big snowstorm, and he offered $10 to anyone who would put on a swimsuit, go outside and do snow angels in the snow. I was the first one to go. This year Cole, Jacob and Caleb were the eager participants. I was impressed with the boys. They were pretty darn tough, but the reward was tempting enough to get them in their swimsuits and out the door. It was pretty funny to watch.
We were able to get in a 4-mile run one morning, and this time Jeff came along too. It was especially nice to have him there when a couple dogs decided to come out and chase us. Tom was nice enough to play with the babies while we were gone.
Family gatherings wouldn't be complete without the game nights. We played some pretty entertaining games and had some good laughs. Some of the favorites include "Guess Who" and "Choose Your Weapon." Not to be played by the faint of heart!


The FOUR Tanner girls.
It's so fun having a new sister. Becca is so fun and fits right in to the group.

It's also nice just having down time to enjoy playing and talking together. I know our kids love having aunts and uncles around to play with.

Emily found the central vac outlet and entertained herself for about half an hour playing with it and trying to figure out what was inside. It's so cute to see such a tiny little girl standing up and acting so big. We love this little girl.
One night we were able to catch a movie. We took Jacob and Caleb, and went to "Despicable Me." They thought it was great. I love the dollar movies.

One night we headed down to the church for a family game of dodge ball. It was pretty funny to play and to watch. Jacob, Caleb, and Matthew especially loved it. They usually ended up being the last ones on the team in each round and did pretty well. I definitely think I used to be a lot better at the game, but still had fun playing.

Emily and Lilah had the best seats in the house! These two cuties were great spectators for the evening.
Team A
Team A with their game faces on!
(We had a little mix-up during the pictures, Houston was on A and Becca was on B)
Team B
Team B showing their tough side
A couple action shots from the evening
One of my favorite parts was just watching Emily and Lilah play together. These two little girls are so much fun. Their "playing" at this point usually just consists of Emily taking Lilah's pacifier, both of them poking each other in the eyes and faces, slobbering on the same toys, and crawling over each other, but I think they'll be great little friends when they get older.
One morning we tried to get some pictures of the two of them. Emily is getting a little too mobile and most of the time was spent trying to keep her from crawling out of the picture, but we did manage to get a couple cute ones. Lilah, on the other hand, is at a perfect stage and would practically smile the moment the camera came out. These little girls are so fun.
All in all it was an enjoyable week. Time with family always goes too fast and leaves us wishing for more time, but it makes the next get-together something to look forward to. I was just glad we were able to have as much time together as we did.

4 comments:

Caity said...

Looks and sounds like a ton of fun! Hope you have a great New Years!

Staci Savage said...

Happy New Year! You have the cutest family! So glad you're all well and happy.

jor said...

You have such a cute family :) But I can't believe they all went in the snow in swimsuits! Was is really cold out! I start getting numb outside here even with all my winter clothes on. ahhh!!!

Joey and Michelle Chandler Family said...

Looks like some fun times. I especilly think dodgeball looks fun. I havn't played that forever. Cute pictures of the girls together.