Thursday, January 28, 2010

Happy Birthday Jacob

Jacob turned 6 years old today! He’s really getting into the birthdays and loved making food plans down to the last detail. I guess for a 6-year old boy the food details are some of the most important! For breakfast we enjoyed crepes with strawberries & whipped cream- we had to get up a little earlier to still be on time for school, but it was worth it! We took cupcakes to school to share with his class, and after school we took him to get his free birthday ice cream cone. For dinner we had his requested fish (pan seared tilapia- thanks Teresa!), homemade mashed potatoes & gravy, and vegetables.

Without me knowing, Jacob had invited a bunch of his friends to come over that night to celebrate; but without Jacob knowing, we were planning a surprise birthday party the next night so I had to explain that his friends couldn’t come over because it was a school night.

We had a little celebration that night with our family. Jacob opened his presents and was excited with his new telescope, missile launcher, movie, shirt, book, and BYU jersey- that was a favorite and it sure made Jeff happy! The boys even braved the 15 degree weather that night to go try out the telescope outside.

After making cupcakes for his class that day, and knowing that I was making a cake the next day for the surprise party, I didn’t really want to make another cake just for our family- most likely it would just go to waste so I was glad when Jacob agreed that donuts sounded like a fun alternative. He picked out 6 donuts and we put them in the shape of a 6 with candles in them for him to blow out. It was perfect & we didn’t have to worry about a bunch of leftover cake.

It’s hard to believe that our Jacob is already 6. When he woke up his first words were, “I’m almost 7!” I hope he’ll slow down and just enjoy being 6 for a little while! He’s grown up so much and is such a great oldest child. He’s a great example to his younger brothers and we’re so grateful for him!*

No comments: