Jeff wanted to take the boys fishing today. Both Jacob and Caleb have been dying to use their fishing poles again, and they just stocked the nearby stream. Jeff also has a good friend & fellow resident, Vince, who wanted to do some fishing too. So Vince and his fiance Tami met up with Jeff & the boys to do a little fishing this morning. I had a long run scheduled, so I took off a little before the family and met up with them once I had finished my run. It made it convenient that I was running right on the trails next to the river they were fishing in.
Apparently it was just a little too late in the day and the fish weren't all that interested in the bait. While I was running I had seen some fishermen with some pretty impressive catches so it's a bummer the group missed out. They had fun anyways though. The boys enjoyed fishing and spending time with Daddy and friends. Matthew was a great little trooper and enjoyed sitting in his stroller watching everything around him.
I had a long run today. I'm glad it went well, especially considering that my grand total last week was only 2 days and 12 miles.
Distance: 18 miles
Time: 2 Hrs 29 minutes
Few things along the way-
Mile 4.5: I hit a covered rock and completely biffed it on the trail. I put a hole in my capris, bruised and scraped my knees, hands & elbow. My right knee was already sore and I'm pretty sure this didn't help much. I'm glad it wasn't worse. At least I provided some entertainment for fellow runners right?
Mile 10-12: I found out that there was a huge fund-raising walk and had to run through a group of about 500 adults & kids, plus strollers and dogs, that were doing a long walk down the trail. I had to run by them twice- down & back. It definitely wasn't my fastest split time.
Mile 14- We originally planned that Jeff would be down there at mile 8 and was going to have my gatorade ready for when I went past. It took longer to get the fishing gear together so he wasn't there yet. I didn't have a choice but to keep running, so when I hit about mile 14, I was so thirsty and I literally felt like I had run out of fuel. I felt okay, but it was just like my body had no more energy to run on. I was glad I was just about back to the area where Jeff was parked. Nothing looked so good as that drink sitting on the bumper of the car!
18 miles was definitely a stretch for me, when I finished my legs, knees, and feet were tired and sore. (I wonder how much was from running and how much was from falling:)
I was definitely glad to be done and be able to go spend some time watching the boys fish. It was a beautiful day, and I loved the gorgeous trees.