Wednesday, February 27, 2013

February Projects

February 2013
After the new year, I really started wanting to get projects done before the baby arrived in April. In February, we were able to get a few of the big projects done. From the time we moved into our home, I really dislike the color in the kitchen/dining room. It was a really ugly golden yellow with a hand-painted glaze. Some people like that sort of thing, but it just isn't my thing. I don't know why it took so long, but one day I had had enough! I did a little searching for the right paint color, and one afternoon I just went to town. Jeff was a little surprised when he came home from work and half the kitchen was a different color. I tell you- I wish there was some way to bottle all that energy at the end of a pregnancy! I finished the project in just a few days. It really made such a difference! The kitchen and dining area looks so much better- like night and day difference. 


Another project we've worked on is getting cupboards in our basement. We had a big empty wall, and no great storage space for toys, etc. Jeff found a great guy who does cabinetry and we started the project. I found several ideas of things I liked, then Jeff (the cabinet guy) drew up some different plans. We finalized what we wanted and Jeff built them (so much cheaper than even buying pre-made cabinets from a home improvement store!) Once he was finished building everything- he brought it back and installed the shelving part. Our Jeff then did the painting- and that was a pretty big project in and of itself! I felt bad for not helping out, but being 8 months pregnant- Jeff didn't want me doing any of the painting.
Once the painting was all complete, Jeff R. came back and put everything together with all the finishing touches. We love the finished product! It has been so great for toys and basement storage. No more bins stacked up on top of each other- everything has a home and it looks so great! I will add some decorations/photos to the top shelves, but these cupboards are fantastic!



No comments: