On the morning of his baptism, my mom went downstairs before anyone else was awake and found Jacob sitting up to the table, reading his scriptures. He told her that he loved to read his scriptures, and although he didn't know what everything meant, he wanted to study his scriptures so he could understand everything better. I know he is sensitive to the Spirit, and hope he will always do his best to stay close to it.
The baptism program was a very sweet experience. We had some of our good friends from the ward and our families there. We were so incredibly grateful to both of our parents for making the huge sacrifice to come out for Jacob's baptism.
Mom played the music for the program, and Mom Stevens and I gave the prayers. Grandpa Stevens gave a talk on baptism- it was a very touching moment when Dad recalled that it had been 40 years ago that very week that he himself had been baptized a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. He shared his experience and bore his testimony on what a wonderful blessing it had been in his life.
After Dad's talk, we walked down to the font where Jeff baptized Jacob. It was such a wonderful moment- all the kids were pressed up against the glass to watch- and our Dads were the witnesses. Jeff and Jacob both did a wonderful job and got it the first time.
After Jeff and Jacob made it back, Dad Tanner gave a talk on the Holy Ghost, including personal experiences and the story of Great Grandpa Watkins and the haystack. I know Jacob was inspired to ask each grandpa to give a talk on their particular subjects. The spirit was so strong during the entire program. At one point, I was trying hard to hold back tears. I was doing pretty well until I looked at Jacob and saw the tears in his eyes. Then I couldn't help it. The messages shared and the music sung were both powerful and beautiful.
I honestly couldn't have imagined a more perfect baptismal program- not because it wasn't a busy morning, not because there weren't little things that didn't work out just perfectly, not because we were scrambling last minute, and certainly not because I had an amazing set-up complete with coordinated treats and a huge crowd- I didn't. It was perfect because the Spirit was felt so strongly by everyone present. Even Caleb, Matthew, and little Emily were so good and sat attentive the entire time. It was a perfect, beautiful day and I will always remember it. More importantly, I think Jacob and probably some of our other kids will too- and that is what is important.
Emily and Alish. We absolutely adore these girls!

4 comments:
I teared up while reading this! I can't believe he is that old, but part of me was surprised he was that young! He is really mature and always has been such and amazing kid! He is lucky to have such great parents too! You really don't look old enough to be his mom though....you will always be the hot mom! miss you guys!
It doesn't seem possible that you could have an 8 year old! He's such a handsome boy!
That's awesome both of your parents were able to make it. What a neat day. Jacob sounds like such a good boy. He must have really great parents.
Congratulations Jacob! It was so fun to read your post. What a wonderful day! I am so glad you were able to share it with both parents too.
Post a Comment