Thursday, November 29, 2007

Deck the Halls...Or Walls

Although we’re not exactly ‘decking the halls with boughs of holly’ we are doing our best to make it look more like Christmas here in our little apartment! On Tuesday the 27th I decided that we were going to break out the Christmas tree and decorations. I know it’s still November, but it’s so much fun and Jacob and Caleb were so excited. Plus I love the feeling that comes with the cold weather & holiday season; and northing makes it seem more like Christmas than a Christmas tree and decorations around the house. I love the cozy feeling, especially at night sitting in the dim room with just the lights on the tree & window to light up the room.

We put up garlands with lights over the window and piano, hung stockings along the wall, put decorations around the apartment, and put up our Christmas tree. Jacob and Caleb were great helpers and loved setting up the tree the most. They even took on some decorating by themselves and have adorned the tree with all sorts of toy trains, horses, and dinosaurs. It’s amazing how well the imitation trees can hold them in! Jacob has decided he’s the official light manager and loves to turn on the lights all of the time. I keep trying to explain that 2:30 in the afternoon isn’t the best time to have ALL the lights on, but I turn around and he’s turned them on again. I guess we can look forward to a little higher energy bill this month! At least it’s for a good cause right?

We won’t be going home for Christmas this year, it will be our first Christmas as our own little family, and I’m actually excited. Jeff doesn’t get much time off work and he’s on call again the week after Christmas so it would make for a pretty short vacation, not to mention the added stress & cost of traveling with three kids. We’ll definitely miss being with our families, but I think it’s going to be a lot of fun.

More than anything I am excited to be together as a family enjoying the celebration of the birth of our Savior. Jacob and Caleb are at an age where they’re starting to understand more, and I want them to associate Christmas as a special time where we think about Jesus. The gifts and extras are nice, but the True meaning is everything! I think being here as our own little family will give us that chance to really focus on what is most important.

Anyway, I’m so excited. This really is a magical time of the year, and I love the good feeling in the air! Maybe we’ll even have some snow for Christmas!

Caleb insisted on having a picture taken while he was holding Matthew too!

3 comments:

sara cardon said...

Merry Christmas up there!! I have admired your colored lights from my window-- maybe we'll have to come over and see how Lucy reacts to a Christmas tree. I am being a Scrooge and won't put one up b/c I'm afraid she'd constantly be eating ornaments.:) We had our own Christmas last year and it is such a good memory!! You'll love it!!

nathalia said...

It'll be our first Christmas as a family away from our family. I'm kind of excited too! I have yet to put up decorations, but your post is inspiring me!

sara cardon said...

Hi again-- I tagged you, so see my blog.:)